Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cooking Monday!!

Jaclyn's family participates in "Cooking Mondays." It's actually something they created and it is SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

The players are: Janice (Jaclyn's mother-in-law), Loretta (Janice's cousin), Tom (Loretta's husband) & Jaclyn

So every Monday the team gets together to make a huge batch of something. Usually it's Greek food (Tom & Loretta attend the local Greek Orthodox church). Cary and I L-O-V-E Greek food. So Jaclyn has been talking about Cooking Monday's for the past year or so and I've been dying to participate. But I've had a job, so that kinda excluded me from the club.

Well not any more baby!!

This was my first full throttle Cooking Monday and let me tell you, it's all I thought about on Sunday and kept a smile on my face through bed time on Monday.

Jaclyn & I went for a training run before the festivities began (this week we were meeting at her house) and as soon as we got back and showered the cooking began.

On the menu this week: Grape Leaves!!

So first you have to take the grape leaves (which grow in Janice's yard by the way) and clip off the stems. At this point I was so excited I offered Tom a hug! He made fun of me, but that's okay. I know deep down in his heart he liked it; no I didn't hug him. Sometimes I just get so excited about things I want to hug people!!

While Jaclyn, Tom & I were in the kitchen, Janice played with Ellery and Lorette played with Piers. That's what's so cool about Cooking Mondays, there are plenty of people who want to hold and love on babies and yet I could slip away to nurse or change a diaper with out feeling bad for "leaving my station." Someone else would just jump right in and pick up where I left off!

Once the leaves were blanched and the meat & rice were combined and ready it was time to roll the leaves!

Rolling grape leaves is all fine and dandy until your baby starts to scream and refuses anyone except her mother! Umm hello!! I'm working with raw meat. No, Ellery I can't come and get you right now.
Thankfully Tom tried his best to keep both E & Piers under wraps until the task was done.

Yes, there are pictures of the food and the table however they aren't uploading correctly and I'm really frustrated about that. But anyway....
So fun! We just ate, hung out and had plenty left over for me to take home and eat on this week.
Next Monday...stuffed squash!! My heart (and belly) was so full!

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

we are so excited to have our newest member join the team!! The more the merrier! Truly. Cooking alone just isn't as much fun.

Danielle said...

Maybe one of these days I'll drop by to check it out! No I won't cook - as we all know I can barely turn on the oven, I'll just eat! ;-)