Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Whoa Baby!

Where do I begin?

Last night around 9:00 I began feeling some cramping and figured it wasn't too much to be concerned about. That is, until those cramps became more intense and lasted throughout the night! No sleep for this mommy-to-be! Somewhere around 4 AM (my new favorite hour of the day) I realized I was having contractions. I say "realized" because for the 6 hours prior I just wasn't sure what was going on. Then I thought, "Oh no! Maybe my baby is having seizures inside the womb!!" So I started to actually hold my stomach as it contracted and realized that a lack of sleep had lead to some temporary insanity and I was certain these are contractions.

This morning was Sweets non-stress test (or is it stress test?) and Cary was planning on meeting me at the doctors office. When his alarm went off I patted his arm and told him to not get up. I figured since I had been having mild contractions all night it would be a good idea for him to stay home and actually take me to the doctors. Well, we packed the bags and loaded the car in preparation for any news we might get. Funny thing was that once I got out of bed and started to move around the contractions seemed to lighten up and space out. Okay, so now I'm beginning to think that we will be coming back home after the appointment.

Once we arrived to the doctors my first line of business was an ultrasound. This is when the technician told us we will probably have a baby somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 lbs. More like 8 lbs. 14 oz., was her quote! What in the world??!! Up until this point no one has given me an estimate on the size of the baby. I was fine with my ignorance because it made the idea of pushing a baby out of my body a bit more bearable. Well....now we have another story! I'm a little freaked out and add that emotion to my already exhausted state of mind and you can imagine what sort of conversations Cary and I were having in the doctors waiting room.

Next we headed back to see the doctor and I told the nurse I had been having contractions at approximately 15 min. intervals pretty regularly. They hooked me up to the fetal heart rate monitor and as you can see, we had a little fun watching the ticker tape flicker up and down with every movement Sweets made and every contraction I experienced.


Of course while I was hooked up to the monitor my contractions were short and much less intense than when we were home. That just figures! Now, here's where it gets interesting. I was CERTAIN that after close to 12 hours of contractions there would be significant progress in my dilation and effacement. When Dr. Pringle checked me she said, "Okay, you are still at 1 cm and now about 50% effaced, instead of 30%!" My jaw was on the floor! WHAT IN THE WORLD?? SERIOUSLY?
After further discussion of more intimate details than you need to know, Dr. Pringle said she wouldn't classify me as being in "full labor" but my body is definitely showing significant signs of progress and it could be any time now. She thinks this baby is coming by the weekend but went ahead and scheduled another appointment for me on Monday.
We headed home, but stopped for lunch first. I was STARVING! Yes, as soon as we were walking into the restaurant I began contracting again and have continued to all afternoon/evening. I tried to get some rest this afternoon and PRAY I can fall asleep tonight.
It's so strange, like I'm in this state of half awake/half asleep all day long. Sort of like after having the flu and you are just worn out from being up all night, sick. But then again...I have been up all night, sort of sick.
Tonight I had to work on a project for work. It was simply dressing out some small areas of a model home for a home show this weekend. The only reason I agreed to go was because I figured if I got out of the house, walked around and focused my attention on something else, maybe, JUST MAYBE that would assist in my labor progress. My mom, dad and Cary were there. I had several contractions while walking around. But now we are home and I want to get into my PJ's to lay on the sofa and be still.
Crazy times. I pray this baby comes in the next day or so. This is when the anticipation gets pretty thick. Knowing that my body is working hard but not knowing what is going on puts me in this mental place of exhaustion. I'm worried the contractions will stop and I'll be going to the doctors on Monday, only for this to happen all over again and then to be induced. I'm worried I wont be able to sleep tonight. Good Lord, what happens if I don't sleep tonight?! It's discouraging to feel like your body is working SO HARD and then to only find out it's effaced a bit more. What is labor like then? All the while I just want to lay with Cary and be still and quiet. But then again, I want to call all my family and friends to keep them posted. I'm so tired! Oh, and a bit nauseous.
So there you have it. A wild and crazy day in the Ayers' house. I'll keep you posted if anything else exciting happens!!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

YAY for progress! She'll be here so soon! I'm so happy you took that picture at the DRs office. haha

Ali said...

Praying for good sleep and painless progress. Thanks for keeping us updated.

margaret said...

hi Leah! this is Margaret, Lynn's friend- I remember all of those feelings so well- both of my babies were late- the only thing I can think of to say is"Let go, Let God" that sounds trite and somewhat lame but if you can somehow put all your worry in a mental basket and picture yourself giving it up to Him- maybe that will help-(I am the worlds' worst worrywart as anyone will tell you so I know it is not easy at all)
I think you are ready- first babies just take a long, long time- good luck and I am saying prayers for all of you- try really hard to not worry about "what if....." I hope you can get some rest!- love Margaret St.Clair

Courtney said...

wow. i'll call you later...hopefully you're sleeping (or at the hospital!) right now!