Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Busy Baby Week

This week is all about learning and preparing for Sweets arrival.

Last night we had our breastfeeding class. It was total information overload. Thankfully a baby magazine was waiting on the table as part of our info packet, this kept Cary occupied the first hour of class. Did I mention this was a 2 1/2 hr. class?

I think the expression on my face during the breastfeeding video was classic. I could feel the muscles in my face twisting and an overwhelming desire to cry stayed with me the entire duration of the movie. Never before have I seen so many nipples. Just the reality that I'm going to have a baby and be nursing her was too much for me to handle. I kept looking over at Cary and he was just chuckling at how this video presented breastfeeding like it was the key to changing the world. Yes, a bit over the top but we got the point. Breastfeeding is good. We were never on the fence about this.

I can't believe how many gadgets, parts & pieces go into feeding a baby. Again, too much information and thankfully there will be a lactation consultant at the hospital visiting me to help get Sweets and I adjusted to this new life.

Oh, wait! I almost forgot! I found out last night that the hospital where I'm delivering doesn't take the baby to the nursery at night. WHAT?! Forgive me, but I have been under the impression that Sweets would pop out, we'd have a nice meeting time and then off she'd go to the nursery so I could sleep and recover. Not so, says the lactation consultant. She will get a bath and be in the room 24/7. Cary definitely got a look from me that could have burned a hole through the wall. Not that it's his fault or anything, but I had no idea.

This is all too much.

Maybe I'll be given some clarification tonight when we take our hospital tour. Yes, I'll hold out hope until tonight.

Tomorrow is our second birthing class. The game plan for this class is to #1 grab a comfy chair! Last week Cary shifted and wiggled the entire 3 hour class and his body language clearly said "I'm here for my wife." Needless to say, I LOVED every minute of our birthing class. It's all so fascinating to me. I'm excited to go back and learn more!!

Well, I'm about to head out for the first of my "weekly" drs. appointments. We'll see how this goes!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I loved watching all of the men squirm when we took a breastfeeding class. Lactation Consultants are your friend. It's all so overwhelming, but they really help! Plus, you are already armed with that fabulous pump! As for the baby rooming in, well I guess that is a matter of preference, but I wouldn't have it any other way (I can tell you some horror stories). It was such a great bonding experience those first few days. I think God gives new moms extra energy because I don't remember being tired at all!