What a day!
Ellery has been struggling with a slight fever since Saturday. At first I diagnosis it as a teething fever. That was until yesterday afternoon.
She began to feel hot to the touch and I took her temp. around lunch time yesterday. It was 101.8. I called the doctors office to find out what my course of action should be. I was told that if her fever persists to today, bring her in.
Last night I put her down and after going out for a bit I came home and went in to check on her. I was just so worried. She still felt warm.
About 11:15 I just couldn't sleep so I thought maybe I should give her some Tylenol. So I did and we just sat in the nursery for about 10 minutes until I decided to take her temp., it was 102.
After some online research I decided to put on a DVD for her and we would hang out for an hour, after which I would take the temp again.
At 12:15 her temp was 104.
Yea, I freaked out. I woke Cary up and told him I was taking her to the ER. We got her loaded in the car and off we went.
As soon as we were in the exam room the nurse brought in some Motrin and after a bit of time that took care of the fever. The doctor had to take a urine sample (via cathader) and some blood.
THAT was traumatic!
Poor Little Miss had a splint to keep her arm straight since they inserted some device in case she needed IV fluids or antibiotics. She kept wanting and trying to bend her arm and I couldn't handle the thought of that needle in her sweet little chubby arm.
We took laps around the ER just to keep her entertained by the action of the nurses station and murrels on the walls.
Long story short after an hour and a half of testing and waiting she was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. What cracked me up was when the nurse came in to hook Ellery up for some IV antibiotics she told me it would take 30 minutes for the medication to drain into her IV. I said, "Great! So now I have to keep an extremely tired and cranky 11 month old still for a half hour! Fun times."
She did amazing. That 1/2 hour went by very fast, thanks to Puffs and a "Peek A Boo" book. As soon as the machine began beeping that the medication had be delivered her timer expired as well and I was pacing, waiting for someone to hear and hurry up to disconnect her.
By 4 AM we were home and I could barely nurse her before she was fighting to get out of my arms in into her crib.
Poor Little Miss.
Today was MUCH better. We have a follow up doctors appt. tomorrow and only one dose of Tylenol was needed this afternoon.
I'm so glad this ordeal is over.
This was one of those moments when, as a new mom, I wasn't sure if I was making the right decision.
But I had to listen to my instincts.
I prayed for confidence and direction (all while I was in bed at 11:00 and couldn't sleep). I don't regret any of my decisions.
I was focused. I would much rather spend a night in the ER and go home knowing Ellery was going to be OK than spend a night sleepless, tossing & turning and wondering if something is going to get worse.
Hopefully it will be a very long time before I have this experience again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow, leah! that's so awful...scary! but you did GREAT! always best to trust your instincts!
ER's are the worst. Sorry you had to go through that. I am glad she is on the mend.
Post a Comment