Friday, April 17, 2009

Screamer

Ellery is a screamer. She likes to scream...a lot. Cary and I have discovered that if she begins to cry we need to tend to her fairly quickly, otherwise she gets out of control. I tested this theory this afternoon.


I had some planting to do and decided since she was napping it would be okay to start this project. I got 1/2 way through and she began to stir. It's hot outside today. I was concerned her little legs were getting too much sun. I thought she might be getting hot. After all, her car seat is wrapped in a pretty heavy blanket, so even though she might be sleeping on top of the blanket she's still going to get hot.










I had 2 more plants to put in the ground and was almost done with the first plant. She began to cry. The stop watch had started and I knew I needed to make it fast before she would be out of control. So quickly I covered the plant up and we went into the garage. I hoped this would cool her off and calm her down. It worked...sort of.



My determination to get the project done forced me to carry her outside one more time. The crying intensified, as I expected. Thankfully I completed the planting with in 5 minutes. But the poor flowers needed watering. Ellery wasn't into this. I took her inside while I hurried to fill a bucket with water. At this point her screaming is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10. Part of me was afraid she was going to pass out from crying. As I ran down stairs and into the driveway I thought, "If she's crying then she's breathing. The second I stop hearing her I will run in." I could hear her all the way on one end of the driveway.

I ran inside and sure enough, we made it to a 10 and I hurried to get cleaned up. Since I had been working with dirt and fertilizer I decided it was best to get undressed in the laundry room before picking her up. I scooped her up and while she was still crying, we headed upstairs to try and cool her off and get her calmed down. As soon as I hit the top step I heard it and felt it. Yep, our little Sweets just threw up all over me. Poor thing had herself worked up so much that instead of passing out, she just puked! Thank goodness I took my clothes off.

This meant we both needed a shower. That was interesting in and of itself. Ellery started to cry again (she stopped for maybe 2 minutes while I was taking her now dirty clothes off) when I began washing her down with the hand held shower head in our master shower. She didn't know what that was or what to think of it. But as soon as her little bath tub was filled with water she calmed down and chilled out.

Good. Lord. What to do with this little one? I keep thinking that one day I can let her "cry it out," however she thinks otherwise. I will be thankful that we are both clean, and that as of this moment she is chilling out right next to me. These screaming fits make me wonder what sort of a girl she will be, drama queen maybe?

No comments: