Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nursery Update

What a productive weekend! Okay, here is the update on our nursery.

Last week the carpet was installed!! I can't tell you how exciting this was and what a difference it has made. This space actually feels like a ROOM now!





Over the past couple of weeks I've been deciding on what furniture pieces would go into Baby Sweets room. Since we don't have a closet I figured it would be a good idea to use this entertainment armoire from my guest room. With the addition of a rod (or two) and some cute baskets inside, I think this is perfect! It's nice to find another use for something already owned. Besides, now there will be a bit more space in the guest room!


You might remember, this is the brass crib I found at a consignment shop down the street from my office. It's been sitting in the garage for the past several weeks waiting for the carpet to be installed. Well, once we moved it into the house I decided it might not be a bad idea to take some brass polish to it and see how it goes.


Little did I realize that the crib was EXTREMELY tarnished and once you start polishing brass, you can't really give up and stop! So pretty much all day on Saturday I sat in the Man Room and rubbed away. This section took me a couple of hours and entire bottle of Brasso. I ran out of space on 2 cleaning rags and decided it was time to stop. I think my arm muscles are thankful. It should be really pretty once it's done!


The one other major piece needed was a changing table. I have been searching Craig's List for weeks trying to find something that was out of the ordinary and still relatively inexpensive. My friend Lydia took me to another consignment shop last weekend where we happened upon this buffet server. I called Cary and had him research the dimensions of a changing pad. Wouldn't you know the "server" space is the exact same size as a changing pad! Sweetie and I went back to the store on Sunday to purchase this piece. Relatively inexpensive, lots of character, definitely different. It just needs a coat or 2 of paint and it will be PERFECT!



Exactly 1 week later, here I am! Working hard on refinishing. If you look closely you will see when I started sanding, it was very exciting to use a tool and decided to work down to the bare wood. Sweetie told me that I just needed to "rough up" the finish and it wasn't necessary to sand everything off. Okay, maybe he told me this before I started sanding and I was just really enjoying myself. But thankfully he reminded me that all that work and time wasn't necessary. Again, this is hard work on my little arms and I was getting worn out! So I listened the second time and just "roughed up" the remainder of the table.


Here it is! All roughed up and ready for some paint. Hopefully we can spray it down this week after work sometime.


So 2 out of the 3 pieces of furniture to go into the nursery need work. These aren't small projects, but it's worth it. All the while working on these pieces I imagine what Baby Sweets will be like and picture checking on him/her during a nap in the crib or dressing him/her after a bath. It's very rewarding to know that someone that is living inside of my body right this moment will benefit from all of my hard work.

2 comments:

Ali said...

i can't wait to see the end results! p.s. i like the overalls ;)

Michelle said...

I think the server is going to work out perfectly!! Excellent find :).